Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Time for A New GAME Plan...

Take a moment to think about the GAME plan process and the progress you have made over the last several weeks toward meeting the goals you established for learning about technology and technology resources. Using the link provided in Tech Resources located under Course Home, visit the Web site for the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) and examine the National Education Standards for Students (NETS-S). Consider how the NETS-S and the NETS-T are inter-related. Based on your experience with the GAME plan process and the NETS-T, how might you use the GAME plan process with your students to help them develop proficiency in the NETS-S?

After looking at both the NETS-T and NETS-S, I can honestly say they go hand-in-hand. I really like how the standards promote digital citizenship. I believe this is one of the most important standards on the list. At my school, I know many of my students do not have parents at home monitoring their children's work online. Many of my students have MySpace and FaceBook accounts (although they are not of legal age yet) and I know that cyberbullying runs rampant among them!

I would like to help my students design their own GAME plan, based on the NETS-S to model digital citizenship this upcoming year. This will be a year long process, but one that I feel will be the most beneficial to them. If students can learn to use the Internet responsibly then that will benefit them in the long run.

References:
ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) (2008). The ISTE National Educational Technology Standards (NETS-T) and Performance Indicatiors for Teachers. retrieved fromhttp://www.iste.o-Trg/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf

6 comments:

kekemcdee said...

Stephanie,
Your idea of promoting digital citizenship by focusing on cyberbullying is great. Cyberbullying is often a problem at this level. Students are feeling "too big for their britches" and think that they can get away with it. My husband teaches 4th grade also and he often talks about what happens on Facebook that has been brought into the classroom. Students need to be taught what is appropriate and what is not. I think the parents could also use some of this information as well. You could work on social skills in addition to the digital citizenship skills.
Good luck with your idea!
Kerry

Lindsay said...

Stephanie,
I think that teaching the students about cyber bullying would be a great lesson. In fact teaching them about bullying in general is great. I know that we have a bit of a problem with this in our school and I'm sure the kids don't realize that bullying can happen in a virtual world as well. I think if they are taught this at a young age, it is something that will stick with them in the future.

Stephanie said...

Kerry and Lindsay,

Thanks for your encouragement. I had several students come to me this year wanting to discuss things that happened to them on FaceBook. It really upsets me that their parents allow them to use these social networks without monitoring what they are doing. I am hoping that by starting the year off discussing digital citizenship & bullying, I can help them become more responsible in the virtual world.

Ms. Empson said...

Stephanie,

I think its great the you are choosing to focus on digital citizenship and cyberbullying. Students interact on social networking sites outside of school and often find themselves in difficult situations. By focusing on digital citizenship they are learning how to act responsible on the internet. This will not only benefit them in school but also outside of school. Good Luck!

Jennifer Bates said...

Stephanie,
Great idea to focus on digital citizenship. I really had not thought of that to be a main topic. I guess my students are not on social networking sites as much as your students due to age. I do not hear my students talk about it at all. I think students would really benefit from your help.

Clarissa Miles, M.Ed. said...

Stephanie,
I think a focus on digital citizenship is critical at our school. You made an excellent point about our students being completely unsupervised at home while on the internet. I am in disbelief every year at the students in my class that have Facebook & Myspace pages and they are only 8 years old. I also know that even in my 3rd grade classroom cyber bullying occurs.