Wednesday, May 6, 2009

We're in a Race!

Here are the questions I am going to address this evening:

How do I feel about my racial group? Am I proud? Ambivalent? Do I sometimes wish (or have wished) that I belonged to another group?How do I feel about people from other racial groups? Do I have close friends and neighbors in other racial groups, or is my social network racially homogeneous? Would I like to have close friends of racial groups other than my own? Why or why not?

I honestly enjoy my racial group. I think I would probably like being in any racial group because I like who I am, although I 'm not going to lie - being white has probably made my life easier. Unfortunately, many other races have a stigma - not that I've never been called "white trash," but that's minimal in comparison to what other groups have had to endure. So, no, I have never really wished to belong to another racial group.

I do have several close friends and colleagues from other racial groups, but for the most part I socialize with other white people. However, I do have several African American friends who are able to joke and kid with me about the racial divide. It's kind of like that Seinfeld episode with the "racial harmony" cookie...

I would love to have friends from other racial groups, but not necessarily because they are a different race. I am just a good friend maker :-) I enjoy having various ways to connect with others, so it really doesn't matter to me what color, gender, or sexual preference they have. I'm just glad they want to be my friend! And why wouldn't they???

More to come on these fabulous and thought provoking questions at a later date...

0 comments: