Saturday, May 9, 2009

Eeeek-on-o-mee!

Let's face it - the economy sucks! Here are an appropriate set of questions for this day and time:

What are my assumptions about why some people are affluent and others are poor? Do I think it is fair? Inevitable?Whom or what do I blame for disparities in wealth and opportunity? Poor people? Wealthy people? The system? What do I think needs to be changed? Do I want to be a part of that change? If so, in what ways?

I whole-heartedly believe education is the foundation of whether or not people are affluent or poor. While there are always exceptions to the rules, many of the most successful people in the world have an education. As I have mentioned before, I came from a small town where it was very easy to be labeled "white trash," but because my parents valued education (both being teachers themselves) they instilled the importance of it in me. Educated people have a more well-rounded sense about them and can make informed decisions after some consideration. I had many friends who did not end up going to college and unfortunately, they have ended up living the stereotypical white-trash lifestyle. You know...single wide trailer, yard covered in trash and old cars up on cinder blocks, multiple children all under the age of five running every which way wearing only a dirty diaper, and the adults sitting on the front porch drinking Mountain Dew and smoking cigarettes, which they bought with their welfare check. Now, while that is an extreme description, it is what it is. Many of my friends who did not go to college did not even finish high school - opting instead for a G.E.D. They have worked job after job living paycheck to paycheck all for what? To get up the next day and do it again?

Do I think it's fair? No. Life isn't fair. Is it inevitable? No. People choose their own paths. Of course, my own life has not turned out to be anything like I dreamed it would be when I was a kid, but I went to college, got a great job doing what I love to do, married a man with ambition and multiple degrees and we are able to live a pretty comfortable lifestyle. Granted, those things can change at any moment - especially with the economy being as crap-tastic as it currently is - but I still don't honestly believe we would end up making choices that weren't beneficial to us or our family.

There are MANY people who are highly educated and have absolutely no sense about maintaining money. On the other hand, there are many people who beat the odds and met success by working hard and making smart decisions. Again, it's all about making a choice. Who do I blame for the inequality between classes? Good question. Perhaps many of us are predisposed to our fates? Without the rich, the poor wouldn't exist, but without the poor, the rich wouldn't exist. It seems a symbiotic relationship exists whether we like it or not. So, to place blame is impossible.

I could go on for days about how and why I think the system should be changed. After working in a low-income area and teaching in a Title I school for four years now, I have seen poverty first hand and I have also seen how the welfare system is being abused. There are parents of children at my school who drive fully loaded Cadillac Escalades, yet say they cannot afford to take their child to the doctor for simple and basic health care. It's disgusting. And as a tax payer, it makes me irate. There needs to be an overhaul in the welfare system. Perhaps the implementation of a merit system would work. The more a person on welfare can do to help themselves become more financially independent, the more they are rewarded. Now, I'm no financial advisor, so I really can't say what that reward should be, but there HAS to be a way to make it work. Somehow...

I would love to be a part of the change. I think right now the most I can do for change is to stimulate the economy. Believe me - I have NO problem helping out there! And without getting too political, I think the U.S. has no business sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. To quote a fabulous children's book called, How to Steal a Dog by Barbara O'Connor, "The more you stir things up, the more it stinks!" That's exactly what has happened here! It's time we stop stirring and start picking up. Go out and spend money; even a little bit at a time. Help your neighbor, volunteer, become active. The best thing I can do is educate my students. I don't want them to grow up and live like their parents. I want them to be successful and have all the things they deserve. I can do that by teaching them to be good decision makers, thoughtful thinkers, and role models to others.

Okay, time to get off my soap box for now...

0 comments: