Friday, June 12, 2009

Back Off Jerry Springer!

In order to accomplish the 4th CREDE standard - Engaging students with challenging lessons - I think that strategy number 34 would work well. This is called the Talk Show (pg. 198). While I have not personally used this method in my classroom, I can only imagine how much fun it could be. On page 199, several ideas are given about how to use this suggestion. The ones I would probably use the most would be interviewing characters in books, historical characters and people in the news. I have very often suggested that my students make a list of interview questions for characters before, but I've always had them answer as the character themselves. I can't help but think how funny and fun this activity would be while the kids were working on setting up their very own "Jerry Springer Show" - except for the whole nudity, cursing, and fighting thing - pretty sure I'd get fired for that! Anyway, this would be a super way for the kids to apply some higher order skills as they analyze all aspects of putting the show together. This would also be a great way to incorporate other curriculum areas such as math for building the set and technology for learning how to record and present the program. I am definitely getting excited just thinking about it! I'm all over this idea for the upcoming year!!!!

0 comments: